Author Topic: Selecting a Product to Research  (Read 1880 times)

cindyreynolds

• Global Moderator
Selecting a Product to Research
« on: May 06, 2014, 02:06:25 pm »
Choosing the right product to research in this course is key to your success.  Here are some tips to help you make the right choice.

1. As mentioned in another post, select a product and not a brand or company.  Brands/Companies are too encompassing - there are too many perspectives and things that can sway opinions and feedback.  If you select one specific product, then you can really hone in on your questions and get the best feedback to meet your research objectives.

For example, if I select Kraft, one person may associate this brand with salad dressing and another with cheese, and their answers may be based on their experiences with those specific products and not on the entire brand.  But if I select one specific product, like Kraft Mac + Cheese, then the sample (the people who respond/participate in my research) will have more specific feedback and not confuse it with another product.

2. Don't pick something your really like or really dislike.  There's something called Researcher's Bias that can come out when conducting research and writing research questions.  This is basically when the researcher's opinion of the product is apparent in the way questions or written or to the participants/respondents of the research. The best way to avoid this is to not select something you have strong opinions or feelings about.

For example, I really enjoy BIG Cheezits. They're my favorite snack cracker.  I don't understand why someone wouldn't like this product, so my bias would come out when conducting a focus group or other kind of research on this product. 

3. Choose something you are genuinely interested in. You're going to learn a lot about this product, so select something that you have a natural curiosity about.  Again, not something you really like or dislike, but something that you are interested in.

For example, I have a 2 year old, and I am constantly researching product for her, from food to toiletries to toys.  I am interested to know both the good and bad things about products for her, so if I were to select Aveeno Baby Calming Comfort Bath, then I would be genuinely interesting in both good and bad aspects of this product. I have a natural curiosity to discover is this is a good product to use on my child.

If you have questions about the product you're thinking about selecting for this class, ask your instructor.