Author Topic: Standard/Generic blocks  (Read 1925 times)

jay_goshen

Standard/Generic blocks
« on: March 31, 2014, 08:03:17 pm »
Does anyone know where there is a database of standard or generic blocks that would include a majority of what we need for remainder of our classes?

TIA, Jay Goshen

sjagla

Re: Standard/Generic blocks
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 03:37:24 pm »
Hi Jay_goshen,
Are you familiar with the Design Center within AutoCAD?  This has many blocks that you can use.  That is probably the most straight forward option.  However, there are many 3rd party block options, too, I'm just not sure which is 'best' for what you are looking for. 

To locate the Design Center:
In AutoCAD, go to the INSERT Ribbon
On the right side, locate the Design Center Icon and click to open
[Alternatively you can type ADC in the command line]

If you do not see block options right away, you may need to navigate to the correct folder.  Sometimes the folder you need to see the blocks in the Design Center is buried in the new version of AutoCAD. If you go to the folder browser on the left, and go to AutoCAD 2014, then choose Sample ---> en-us ---> Design Center, you should see the options you need.

Let me know if you have trouble! It is there it is just not in a very easy to find place. This video will also show you: http://www.screencast.com/t/VSWJI4jg

Did this help with your question? 
Sheila

jay_goshen

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 10:31:37 pm »
Sheila,

I have been to the design center and have used their blocks and even adapted or changed them to fit my needs. I was primarily looking for a site that had copies or direct links to manufactures sites or an individual who has posted some of their work that was available for downloading. I have saved what I have drawn but as yo know it is time consuming and any shortcuts are always a welcome time saver.

Jay

snowak

• Professor
  • Socratic
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 06:54:42 pm »
Hi Jay:

You can do a quick web search for free 2-D blocks and I think you will find quite a few. One of the favorites that folks have used for class is the Kohler.com website for plumbing fixtures. Keep in  mind that you should be able to be fluent with creating your own blocks, and saving them to create your own library as well. If you are looking for shortcuts,you can use some manufacturer's blocks, but you also should be creating your own. They are not that time consuming and it is part of your learning process. Once you make a block, you have it forever, so it is well worth the time....and you never will have to make it again! I do not know of one main site that has all of the free blocks you want just for the taking... but there are many share sites out there. You may also be interesting in the AUGI.org site, which is the AutoDesk Users Group International. You can belong for free and there may be exchanges or blogs there for blocks...Just ideas!