squemish

Author Topic: AutoCad Adds Layers  (Read 2292 times)

Suzi Lunt

• Learner
AutoCad Adds Layers
« on: January 03, 2015, 04:17:32 pm »
I am using Autocad 2015 and I notice that when I use hatching, using a block or make some simple change in the drafted drawing, AutoCad automatically adds a layer I did not create.  I am attaching two different screen shots from my last session class ID232 where I noticed this happening. In ID232 the drawing is supplied and I created my elevations from that drawing and the foot print of the 4 rooms I required by the assignment. 

I am currently in ID251 and want to make sure I know how to keep this from happening.  It gets a bit confusing to have to keep going back to the layers menu and then track the layers I did not create and then make sure what ever appears in them gets moved the correct layer.  Is there a way to keep the program from auto creating layers?

Screen Shot 1: I did not create layers Layer 1, LAYER_1 or TEXT

Screen Shot 2:  I did not create layers 0-7

~ Suzi

snowak

• Professor
  • Socratic
Re: AutoCad Adds Layers
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 02:05:45 pm »
Hi Suzi:

There are several instances where layers will appear in your drawing file that you did not specifically create from scratch.

First, the LAYER 1, LAYER 2 layers are likely just the default layers that have come up when you have selected "new" to create a new layer. If you do not name your new layers after you select "new", AutoCAD just gives them a generic name, "Layer 1, Layer 2, etc.". If you have not used these layers you can delete them using the PURGE command. 

http://www.screencast.com/t/sW3AQ3OpN3G (how to use the PURGE command)

Other ways that are common for layers to show up are when you are working with blocks or wblocks that have either been taken from an outside source or have been created by you for a prior project and inserted into your new drawing file. Even if you have not yet set up your layers, if you insert a block from an outside source, it will bring in its OWN layers into your file...the layers that it was created with.

Every time a block is created, it is made while the drafter is on a certain layer. If the layer is anything other than the 0 layer, then the block takes on the layer properties of the "current" layer. For example, If you were working on a project last session and you created a wblock of a chair and you created it while you were on your "chairs" layer, then the wblock will have that property "attached" to it.  It will come into your new drawing on a layer called "chairs" that will simply show up automatically. The layer will be added to the list of layers in your new drawing! The block "contains" its layer already and when you insert it, so you are also inserting the layers...

(*Note: If you create a block on the 0 layer, it acts differently, almost like a "chameleon"....It takes on the properties of any layer that you happen to have "current" when you insert it into your drawing....So, if you were on your WALLS layer and you inserted a chair block that you had created while you were on the 0 layer, it will come in on the WALLS layer, because that is the current layer at the time of insertion...)

New layers also appear if you use a wblock from an outside source. For example, if you use a block of a desk from Steelcase, the block has been "pre-made" by the Steelcase company. It may have been created with objects that were on one layer, or several layers! Whatever layers were used when the block was created are the layers that will automatically be added to your file. The layers that the outside company uses are layers that are helpful to THEM, so they may or may not match what YOU want to do with them....

If you want to subsequently organize your work and move your Steelcase desk to a layer of your OWN, you can explode the block, and recreate it while you are on a layer that you created yourself. You always have that option. You also may want to PURGE the old layers that came from Steelcase that you no longer need. The PURGE command, however, will not delete a layer once it has been used...thus, you will need to VERY VERY CAREFULLY use a command called 'LAYDEL" to delete certain layers that you do not want or need.

Here is information on how to do it if you need to: http://cadtips.cadalyst.com/layer-tools/get-rid-stubborn-layers  (again be VERY VERY sure that you don't have any objects on the layer that you do not want to delete before you conduct this command).

To "clean up" the layers that you do not want in a drawing, or if you want to catch any stray objects that are sitting on the wrong layers, you can also use a handy tool called "LAYER WALK". It will show you which objects are placed on each layer, isolating one layer at a time on your screen.

http://www.screencast.com/t/kOgulapwS  (using LAYER WALK)

Suzi Lunt

• Learner
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 09:07:22 pm »
Insturctor Nowak - Thank you so much for your answer and additional tools I can use to evaulate the layers.  The Layer Walk will be useful moving forward.  ~ Suzi

snowak

• Professor
  • Socratic
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 08:50:55 pm »
You're very welcome Suzi!

It's a fun command...it kind of lets you see how everything is set up and it's great for troubleshooting and clean up.  :)

bsd125

• Learner
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 10:17:16 am »
Instructor Nowak,
I love the idea of using the Layer Walk tool to double check everything!  I clicked on your link to see how it works, but the sound doesn't seem to be coming through?  Everything looks good on my end - am I missing something as far as getting that to work here? 

Thank you!
Brooke

snowak

• Professor
  • Socratic
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 01:01:55 pm »
Hi Brooke:

I just checked the link on my computer and the sound is coming through just fine...I am wondering if you have your volume set on your computer? Or it might be set to use a microphone or headset? It seems to be ok on my end...

You may want to try a few other tutorial links just to see if it is the sound on your computer or if it is something to do with that particular tutorial?... Let us know what you find out...

You do have to click on the little "start" icon when the tutorial comes up. It is shaped like a triangle pointingn to the right...This starts the recording...