Author Topic: Drafting an alcove  (Read 1610 times)

bstick417

• Learner
Drafting an alcove
« on: September 02, 2014, 07:53:42 pm »
How do you draft a 5' alcove

snowak

• Professor
  • Socratic
Re: Drafting an alcove
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 03:47:43 pm »
Hi BStick417:

For your question, I would suggest that if you post some additional information, our tutors will be able to help you more fully. I would always please include information to tell us what class you are in, and what project you are working on and the details of what you would like to accomplish. That will help us to help you!

I am familiar with the ID251 course where there is an alcove in the design of the space, and I will assume that this is what you are asking about? Next, it's helpful to know if you are drafting using hand methods or CAD methods. I will assume again that you are working by hand...

In the alcove I am familiar with, the space has a half circular 5' radius area that is set back 2'-6" on each side where there are straight walls.

I would approach drafting this first by locating the 2'-6" walls. Measure your plan and locate them accordingly. Once they are in position, you will need to draft a vertical line from the east endpoint of the north 2'-6" wall to the east endpoint of the south 2'-6" wall as a guideline in between them....

Then you will measure the vertical line and find its midpoint. The midpoint is going to be the center point of the half circular area you will need to draft next.

That center point will be the exact position you will place the needle of your compass upon....Then you will swing the arc that makes the half circle for your inner wall line for the alcove. You will then need to spread the compass wider to create the outer wall line of your half circular wall to create the wall thickness. The needle of the compass will stay at the same center point, and you will spread it further to the wall thickness specified in your project.

If you use circle templates instead of a compass, you will follow the same procedure, but the center of your circle template will need to be at the same midpoint of the guideline. You'll need to be careful to use a circle that is the correct size...5' in diameter. Then you can draft your 1/2 circle once the template is in position. You will need to use a larger circle for the exterior wall line of the alcove. It will need to be 5' in diameter PLUS the thickness of your wall....

It is all about the geometry and finding the correct center point for your half circular area. You can erase your guidelines once you are finished!

bstick417

• Learner
Re: Drafting an alcove
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 01:59:31 pm »
I guess having a compass would help I will have to get one when I go to Wal-Mart later. I'm taking drafting technologies. I know I really don't have to redo it but the alcove looks kind of funky. We're doing the Jewelry Store.