Author Topic: How do I start my border and title block?  (Read 2431 times)

smjohnson23

• Learner
How do I start my border and title block?
« on: August 30, 2014, 08:11:19 am »
I took drafting so long ago I don't remember the basic steps for starting my drawing. How far in does my border start? What information is needed in my title block?

snowak

• Professor
  • Socratic
Re: How do I start my border and title block?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 08:10:54 pm »
Hi "SM"!

Thanks for your question! Your title block should be set with about a 1/2" border around three sizes of your page, just as a general guideline. This gives you a maximum area to work in inside of the border, but still allows some space for printing purposes and a general "frame" of white space around the perimeter. Typically, on the left side of your page, you will want to leave a little bit more space, such as 3/4" or 1" which allows for the area where your binding will be, once your drawings are bound, or stapled together as a "set".

As far as what is to be included within a title block, it will in part depend upon the project and project type and it will also in part be composed of the standard elements that the college sets up as a guideline for consistency. The standard title block elements include:

Sheet Number (always in the bottom right of your title block)
Date
Drawn By
Checked By
Project Name and address
Designer's Name, address, contact information (usually the design firm's logo as well)
Revisions area (this is used to document changes to the project from one issue date to the next)

The college has some standards for these common elements and you can find information on the standards in your classroom in the ID Department Standards thread in the "course home" area, and you may also find standards and examples posted by your instructor in the doc sharing area for some classes.

Your assignments and lectures in class will also outline what is required for your title blocks.

It is also important to keep in mind that when working in the field, most design firms will have their own unique style and layout for title blocks and they will take pride in their own format and "look" for the CD's that they produce. Although each firm's design is a bit different, the standard elements above will be included to communicate the important data for the project and for each sheet.

I hope that helps!

smjohnson23

• Learner
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 02:14:36 pm »
Thank you Professor! This helps me a ton. I have not drafted by hand in such a long time so these small details are a huge help!

DrCPriest

• Co-Director
  • Socratic
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 07:22:17 am »
Check out page 33 on the attached, it has a good example.

ksluss

• Learner
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 07:55:25 pm »
Including the 1/2" border, how wide is the title block? Is it 3/4" for a total of 1" from the right side of the page?

mkerdasha

• Professor
  • Socratic
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 02:03:02 pm »
Great question!  If you are in Architectural Drafting there is a great visual of this in the lecture for Week 1.  :-)  You have a 1/2" border all the way around the sheet and then a 2" title block.  So you would measure really 2-1/2 inches from the right edge of the page to allow for the border and the title block.