Author Topic: transfering blocks  (Read 2434 times)

jilleen312

• Socratic
transfering blocks
« on: December 29, 2014, 05:58:04 pm »
I have been trying to figure out a way to use a block I created for a project in a different project.  Is there a way to share blocks between drawings?  Also the assignments I have done are in AutoCAD 2012, but just downloaded 2014, can I use the blocks from my 2012 assignments?  I am posting two different cad files that have blocks I have made.  Can you show me how to transfer or copy and pasted between them?

Jilleen

snowak

• Professor
  • Socratic
Re: transfering blocks
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 12:40:58 pm »
Hi Jilleen:

This is an excellent question and the answer will help you get very efficient with your work. When you create blocks, there are actually two types...regular BLOCK and WBLOCK.

The difference between the two is that a BLOCK is contained and stored within the drawing that you created it in and a WBLOCK (called a Write block) is a small, separate AutoCAD file that is stored OUTSIDE of the drawing where you created it.

If you use WBLOCK, the steps are the same as they are for creating a BLOCK, except for one element....you will specify a location to store the block on your computer. As you create WBLOCKS, you may want to set up a folder on your desktop or elsewhere to "collect" the wblocks so that they can be inserted easily into each drawing...like a library.

So, the first way you can insert blocks into ANY drawing is to create them as WBLOCKS in the first place, then go to the INSERT, BLOCK in AutoCAD and "BROWSE" to the folder where they are stored, select the block and "INSERT". Click inside of the new drawing where you want to place it and the wblock will come in.

Another way is to use copy and paste. If you know where a regular "BLOCK" is that you created in a former project, you can open up that project's file and go to EDIT, COPY. (do not use regular "copy command" which is to copy objects...you want EDIT, COPY to copy the block to your clipboard instead).  Select EDIT, COPY and then select the block that you want to copy. Next hit your ENTER key (very important step that some people forget) to complete your selection. Next go to the new file where you want to insert the block. Go to EDIT, PASTE and then click inside of your new drawing to bring in the block.

If you already have  blocks that you have created and you want to make them into WBLOCKS to store them in a folder to create a collection/library for yourself, you can also make a regular BLOCK into a WBLOCK simply by typing WBLOCK at the command prompt, then completing the steps in the wblock dialogue box. This involves selecting the objects that will make up your wblock, selecting an insertion point, naming the block and then selecting the folder where you want to save it to.

To create WBLOCKS from scratch, this is the same procedure. You will type WBLOCK at the command prompt, and in the dialogue box that comes up, select the objects, an insertion point, name the wblock and browse to select the folder where you want to save it to!

By using both BLOCKS and WBLOCKS, and INSERT BLOCK and COPY AND PASTE you have many options to work efficiently and speedily!....I hope that helps!

*Note: the differences in the versions between 2012 and 2014 should be fine...

DKDesigns

• Socratic
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 01:56:25 pm »
Sherry,
Wow, if I had just read this first before spending hours...literally determined to beat AutoCad and figure out the block problem I was having bringing blocks from my desktop files into a current drawing! I would get it to work then it wouldn't...obviously I was hitting the right keys by accident (Enter)...the very thing you discussed which was imperative to the success of moving the block into the drawing. Also when it did work it would be floating HUGE off to another area due to its size. At first I was looking for it to be the same size as the text/blocks I was already working with in my drawing...also this was in paperspace. My stubbornness got the best of me! OK, how do I edit the blocks I've downloaded and or purchased? For instance symbols. There is a place for the letter and or number to insert but I can't change them even in Edit Block Mgr? They have example text in place...I would think I could change them to suit my requirements, like a template?
This info just helped me keep my insanity!!!!
thank you,
Donna

snowak

• Professor
  • Socratic
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 02:18:54 pm »
Hi Donna:

I'm glad that the information on inserting blocks was helpful!...Each time you run into a problem, you'll learn more about how to get out of trouble! LOL...so it is all good! Just imagine how much trouble I"ve gotton into in order to know how to get out of these situations! :-)... It's all just about practice and thinking through any problems with good troubleshooting by trying to think like AutoCAD thinks!

Yes, your observation about blocks and paper space vs. model space is a good one. For example, if you were to insert a block of a chair into your model space area from the design center in AutoCAD, it will come in to the right size for the scale of your drawing in model space...however if you were to place it in paper space on your paper, it would be huge because your paper is only 18" x 24" in size, and your paper is also at full scale...so the chair, which is probably about 24" x 24" or so in size, would look larger than your paper!...

It's always helped me to think about my paperspace layout page as I would think about real paper on my drafting table...It literally is just like that...

For your other question, how to edit blocks that you have inserted from other sources...If you have placed a block inside of your drawing and you want to make some changes to it, you will first need to EXPLODE it. You can type in EXPLODE at the command prompt, or it is one of the modify tools.  It takes a block, which is a series of lines and objects that are locked together and "grouped" and it ungroups them so that they are individual entities.

After you explode a block, it will revert back to the 0 layer (or if it was made as a block within a block, it will revert back to the first block's layer, and you may need to explode it twice!). At that point you can assign properties of your own choosing to it and then create it as a block again on your own...this way you can set it on any layer you want, set it to any color, etc. and you will rename it to a name of your liking.

If you have a symbol that already has numbers in it, by exploding the block, you should then be able to edit it using the DDEDIT command (text edit) or you can just erase it and add your own numbers.

Yes, some may be set up as "templates" as you called them...depending upon where you got them and how they were made (and we will never know if you took them from an outside source). There is a feature called "attributes" that can be built into a block where you can design the block to have a "tag" that is generic when the block is entered into a drawing, and then can be edited to whatever you want it to say.

For example, you may find some furniture blocks such as file cabinets for example, that have "tags" or "attributes" that appear as size numbers or codes for the product number. Attributes can also be added to objects such as prices or spec numbers too! AutoCAD has the power to attach data to your blocks so that you can "extract" it to create spread sheets from it and furniture counts or even cost estimates!....This is all very advanced stuff that you won't be covering in ID251, but It's nice to know about them as there is much more to AutoCAD's capabilities as you learn more!

So, I don't want to overwhelm you with information, but what you can do is just try the EXPLODE command on the blocks you inserted and then make your edits, then create the block again using your own block name.

I hope that helps!

DKDesigns

• Socratic
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 02:51:08 pm »
This is very helpful...I will try them in a moment to see if I can do it?! I truly spent all night messing with the blocks, but now I have confidence there is a fix to my situation. I've been reviewing all the demo's here in the forum on the subject of blocks and "Bookmarking" them for future reference. :) It's great to know all the things that can be added through attributes. What a difference a couple hours of sleep and an attitude adjustment makes in ones ability to learn.... ;)
Thank you,
Donna

snowak

• Professor
  • Socratic
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 11:44:23 pm »
You're very welcome Donna!