squemish

Author Topic: Types of Specifications  (Read 903 times)

Taquoryea

• Learner
Types of Specifications
« on: December 31, 2014, 02:48:29 am »
Hello I'm stuck on one of my professional practices homework assignments. It requires that I use FF&E and LEED specifications. I understand that their are four different types of specifications. I just don't fully understand the difference between all of them. I wanted to know if anyone can explain proprietary specifications.

mkerdasha

• Professor
  • Socratic
Re: Types of Specifications
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 08:47:32 am »
What a great question!  You have used some terminology that I would just like to clarify just a little for you.  FF&E specifications  stand for Furniture, Fixture, and Equipment and LEED you can discover more about by going to USGBC website at www.usgbc.org to learn more.  I think the main question you had was what is a proprietary specification.  A proprietary is the most specific type of specification compared to a performance in which only the product performs to a certain level.  Proprietary will be specific in manufacturer, color, type, etc.  Consider you as the designer are being proprietary to the design (you own it) compared to being less specific. :-)

I will give you an example to help clarify.  :-)

A performance specification for paint may just state No VOC's
A proprietary specification of paint would state Benjamin Moore Natura Paint Guilford Green HC-116

I hope this helps!