Author Topic: Saving a Template  (Read 1709 times)

edavis142

• Learner
Saving a Template
« on: March 06, 2015, 03:36:17 pm »
Hello,

I am trying to save my file as a template for a class.  I understand it needs to be saved as .dwt but everytime I try to do so, it will not save.  Any suggestions?  I have no problem saving as .dwg file.

Thanks,
Erica

lwettergren

• Co-Director
  • Socratic
Re: Saving a Template
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 05:51:18 pm »
Erica,

It is possible that it is saving but it is placing your template file in another folder.  When you select to save as a .dwt, AutoCAD automatically switches the file location to the Template folder, but you can change the location when you save.  Take a look and see if that might be the issue, and post again if that is not the problem.  Thanks.

roseannireland

• Learner
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 05:34:31 am »
I'm having no luck locating the template that I saved and turned into a PDF file... I followed the directions to do both, but am unable to locate either a folder or a file in my File Explorer listings...I need to turn this project in immediately, as it was actually due yesterday...HELP!
Rose Ireland

lwettergren

• Co-Director
  • Socratic
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 08:21:18 am »
Hi Rose, we are happy to help you get this resolved.  Please see the attached demo for some suggestions on finding the files you created, or if that doesn't work, re-creating the files.

http://screencast.com/t/sJmIpXhPkKIL

Please let us know if you are still having trouble. 

snowak

• Professor
  • Socratic
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 01:14:07 pm »
Hi Roseann:

If you are still unable to find your file using the suggestions from professor Wettergren's video, I might have two other suggestions for you that have rather easy steps...maybe you have already tried them, but if not, perhaps the ideas would be helpful.

The first would be just a file search? You may have already tried this idea, but if not, it might be another way to find where your files are being stored, especially if they are saving to an unexpected file folder. If you have windows explorer, you can click on the start button at the bottom left area of your screen and type in the name of the file you have saved in the "search program and files" box.

The other would be to open your AutoCAD and click on the red "A" at the top left of your screen. Once you do, the first little icon that you see at the top of the list (just above the "new" icon) will be the "recent documents" icon. It looks like a little piece of paper with a small circular shaped clock on it. ( I have a screen shot attached to show you where this is. The green arrow shows the "recent documents" icon).

When selected, the  most recent documents you have worked with and saved will appear in a list. You can click on the .dwt file that you are looking for to open it up. If it was the last file you worked on it will be at the top of the list (in the screen shot attached, this is shown with a red arrow). Once it is opened, you can then go back to the red "A" and select SAVE AS and the "save drawing as" box will come up. You'll see where your file is located there in the list of folders...and if you want to save it to another location that is easy for you to find, such as your desktop for example, you can click in the "SAVE IN" box to select the location where you would like to save it to...

I hope that these ideas may also be of help to you!