Author Topic: CANNOT GET MY LINES TO STOP AT THE CORRECT LENGTHS  (Read 1470 times)

roseannireland

• Learner
CANNOT GET MY LINES TO STOP AT THE CORRECT LENGTHS
« on: March 19, 2015, 03:07:49 pm »
I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET SPECIFIC LINE LENGTHS ON MY PLAN, BUT WHEN I START THE LINE IN THE DIRECTION I NEED IT TO GO AND TYPE IN THE LINE LENGTH AND HIT ENTER, IT DOES NOT READ CORRECTLY.

I HAVE BEEN STARTING MY LINE IN THE DIRECTION I NEED IT TO GO AND TYPING IN MY LINE LENGTH AND HITTING ENTER, BUT IT IS NOT MEASURING CORRECTLY AFTERWARD.

narboscello1

Re: CANNOT GET MY LINES TO STOP AT THE CORRECT LENGTHS
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 04:15:11 pm »
Hi-
Which class are you taking? Can you post your drawing file here so we can see?
Are you certain the units are set to architectural?
Thanks,
Nina

snowak

• Professor
  • Socratic
Re: CANNOT GET MY LINES TO STOP AT THE CORRECT LENGTHS
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 10:34:35 am »
Hi Roseann:

As Prof. Arboscello was mentioning, it sounds like you may have not set up your file correctly so that AutoCAD understands what type of UNITS you are working with. Normally if it does not accept a line length when entered, it is because the file's units are not set up.... Other problems could include the way that you are entering your line's coordinates, or how you are using the line command, but it seems to be more likely that the problem is your setup and your UNITS. You will need to let us know if we are guessing correctly...

When you start a new file for your drawings, AutoCAD requires that you complete a series of preliminary set up steps before you start to draft. It needs to know what perameters you are working with and what your preferences are. One of those preferences is called UNITS, which tells AutoCAD what system of measure you want it to work with....

The steps to settting up a file include:

MVSETUP
UNITS
LIMITS
GRID
LAYER SETTINGS
DIMENSION STYLE
TEXT STYLES

If you are a beginner to AutoCAD, you may have not completed all of these setup steps, and if so, your AutoCAD will not understand how you want to measure and what perameters you want to work with. When it comes to UNITS, which is our guess at what your problem might be, by default, AutoCAD is set to DECIMAL units....so if you do not set your units to ARCHITECTURAL, then AutoCAD does not know what inches and feet are.... It is "thinking' in its default setting, which is decimal measurement.

To set your UNITS, type UNITS at the command prompt,enter, and set your units to ARCHITECTURAL. You will also need to set the PRECISION of your units as well...and for your purposes in class, I would recommend setting them to 1/32". You will also need to set your angular measurement to 0.0 and keep it set to decimal within the same UNITS dialogue box.  Additionally, you also will need to complete the other steps in your setup process as noted above (MVSETUP, LIMITS, etc.). Your classroom lecture and textbooks will have information and tutorials about how to set each of the steps. You can also find information here in the Help Forum about each of them...

As helpful information for the future, when you post here in the Help Forum, the following information will make it easier for you to get accurate responses from the tutors. Remember that if we do not have full information about your problem, then we can only "guess" at ways to help you. The more information you can provide, the more efficient we can be and the more quickly you will be able to solve the problems and go forward:

Suggestions:

1. tell us what class you are in
2. tell us what assignment you are working on
3. tell us what you are trying to do
4. describe the problem in as much detail as you can
5. attach your file if needed, or a screen shot to show us visually the problem you are having.
6. if you attach a file or screen shot, tell us exactly where to look to see the problem you are experiencing.

I hope these tips help! We would love to help you more specifically if the UNITS setttings are not the problem...more detailed information from you will help! Let us know how you do and if our guess is the solution! Thanks!

« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:40:18 am by snowak »