squemish

Author Topic: Drafting Symbols?  (Read 981 times)

BGreen25

• Learner
Drafting Symbols?
« on: April 25, 2015, 10:02:03 am »
Hey there, I don't know if this is in the right area but I was wondering if there are resources that tells me what all the drafting symbols are and their meaning, for instance like the north arrow and how to use it, or the things like outlets and lighting symbols, etc. Thanks!

snowak

• Professor
  • Socratic
Re: Drafting Symbols?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 01:26:12 pm »
Hi BGreen25:

This is a good question...and yes, there are many sources you can reference. I am not sure which class you are in at the moment, but you will first want to check your textbooks. Most of the drafting related textbooks that are required in the AIO courses will have a chapter on the use of symbols, and/or they have a directory of symbols as well. 

One excellent text that you will likely have already or you will need soon for an upcoming class is called "Graphic Standards for Interior Designers". It will have hundreds of examples of drafted drawings and details and shows how the symbols and notations are used. It will also have directories of symbols.

Here also is a link to a nice website that features Architectural Symbols:
http://www.archtoolbox.com/representation/graphic-symbols/archsymbols.html

I have also attached a file for you with symbols as well...

Another suggestion I always make to students is to try to get a hold of a professional set of drawings in hard copy form. Perhaps there is a local design or architectural firm in your area, or a home builder that you can stop in to visit and ask if they may have an older set of drawings that you can look at. Looking at how the symbols are used on a full set of drawings will really help you learn a lot!

You may also want to visit your local library (the physical library...not digital or online) to see if they may have sets of hard copy architectural drawings that you can look at. Often they will have the drawings from historically significant buildings in your community on file if they have a section on preservation or local history.

Getting your hands on real, hard copy drawings will be a great way to learn more about symbols and to see them in action!

I hope this information is helpful to you!

BGreen25

• Learner
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 07:07:11 pm »
This is great, thank you!

snowak

• Professor
  • Socratic
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 01:54:34 pm »
You're very welcome B!

I"m glad that the information was of help to you!

elizquirk

• Learner
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 10:52:34 am »
Are the Drafting Symbols common between Revit and Cad? Sometimes I get so confused going back and forth between the two.

DrCPriest

• Co-Director
  • Socratic
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 08:38:01 am »
Yes, or at least they should be, they are common throughout the architectural and interior design industry and do not change when using CAD, Revit, or when manually drafting a set of construction documents.  :)