Author Topic: House Plane Template  (Read 692 times)

SamMFurr08

House Plane Template
« on: June 04, 2015, 03:29:56 pm »
How important is it to use a House Plane Template? Is it unprofessional to draw in plumbing fixture, etc free hand?

snowak

• Professor
  • Socratic
Re: House Plane Template
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 08:03:36 pm »
Hi Sam:

Thanks for your question. I am not completely sure of what your question involves (not sure what class you are in? Or what assignment you are working on?), but I think what you may be asking is whether you can combine "hard line" drafting with freehand drafting on the same drawing?

If so, you always want to work with your drafting tools when you develop a set of construction drawings for the design of a house. Drafting for construction needs to be very precise, accurate and measured. You will hear the term "orthographic" which means that the floor plans, elevations, sections and details that you will be drafting to express your design are accurately measured and coordinated with each other. Each "plane" of the design is shown using proper drafting tools. Shapes like arcs and circles are also measured too and should not be freehanded.

You can use tools such as architectural circle templates, eliptical templates, a compass, or flexible curves to create freeform or curved shapes accurately.  You can also find templates that have furniture and plumbing fixtures in both elevation and plan view. They can be very helpful if used accurately.

The geometry of straight lines is accomplished using a parallel bar on your drafting table, or a T square, and triangles of various angles. You can also use an adjustable triangle too, to get specific lines set on specific angles. Focusing on the geometry and constructing your drafted elements using your tools is the proper and professional way of drawing each element on a set of plans.

Sketches and freehand work are wonderful for presentation drawings, for illustration, to help "sell" the idea of a design, and also for the thinking process that generates "schematic" drawings, but sketching is quite different than "drafting". Each has its purpose and you would not want to mix freehand sketching with drafted drawing elements.

I hope that helps answer your question! I would suggest using a circle template, eliptical template, or your compass to create the curves in your plumbing fixtures, and the use of a flexible curve for any freeform curved shapes and lines.