squemish

Author Topic: Perfecting This rendering  (Read 1472 times)

ymark

• Learner
Perfecting This rendering
« on: August 16, 2015, 01:21:43 pm »
Hi, I would love to learn how I can fix up this rendering. Additionally, what would be the correct way to add color to the curtains giving them the proper life that they deserve :).

Thanks,

Yitzy

snowak

• Professor
  • Socratic
Re: Perfecting This rendering
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 01:15:29 pm »
Hi Ymark:

You have a very nice start to your drawing! I took a look for you and I have an attachment file with some ideas and suggestions. The first thing I would do is check your vanishing point. This is a one point perspective with the vanishing point slightly off to the left, and there are a few lines on your chair that would need to be corrected. Otherwise the furniture looks very good!

As you look at the chair, your vantage point is to the left of it, so we would see a bit of the left side of the chair....Follow the lines to the vanishing point (the circle I have drawn) and you'll see how the left sid of the chair would appear.

Also look carefully at the legs of the chair and sofa. Each leg would have the side that is closest to us visible to us, and then the left side of the legs would also be visible. Think of them as little "blocks" and you can sketch in the depth of each one to make them feel and look more substantial.

You can then think about the ceiling height. Here it looks like it is a bit too short, assuming that you have a standard 8' high ceiling or a little taller?, the back wall would be taller when compared with the height of your furniture. You can raise the height of the back wall to just above your horizon line, and this will also give you a more natural view....

You'll see that I sketched a person to scale, who would be about 6' tall in the drawing. The back of a sofa would normally hit at about the top of the person's leg, at the lower part of the hip....This may help to show you where the ceiling height should be.

For the ceiling, you can sketch in your lighting and for the floor, you can add in your shadows. This will help the furniture "pop" upward and reinforce your ground plane. To create the shadows you can pick an angle of light/direction from the windows and stick with that angle as the light hits each object's shape... Remember to add in highlights (white pencil works well) for the edges of your furniture where the light hits.

With the question about fabric, drapery and fabric can be very challenging to draw, but what I have found in studying how the light falls on fabric is that there is a definite pattern...The light catches the crest of a fold, and there would be your highlights. As the rounded shape of the fold of fabric takes shape, the fabric gets progressively darker, until it is in a "valley" where the darkest shadow/tones would be...then directly against the darkest area will be the lightest area....the next "crest" of the next fold...and so on...

Here is a drawing that illustrates that pattern of highlight, gradual darkening, and then highlight against the darkest part of the fold... (it is rather like a wave): http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/16/6c/b5/166cb5c2a4496b78f47fc06ae457efba.jpg

If you can think about fabric in that way, it may help you to look for those patterns and add your shading in a very realistic manner.

As a great way to practice, you can pin up a piece of fabric in your home and place a spotlight upon it. Observe it for a while and see how the light and shadows fall...Practicing with a "mock up" is a great way to study perspective, hightlights and shadows and drawing skills in general!

I hope these suggestions help...Attached is a markup for you!