squemish

Author Topic: Starting a Perspective Drawing  (Read 475 times)

HDuBDesign

• Learner
Starting a Perspective Drawing
« on: February 03, 2016, 03:34:36 pm »
Hi, it has been a while since I did my last perspective drawing. My assignment is to draw either a one point, two point, or three point perspective drawing to look just like a chosen image. SO therefore, I do not see that drawing a grid first would be useful, since I do not know the size of the back wall.

I will attach the image I've chosen. I hate to admit, I am not even sure what perspective this is going to be. I am thinking two or one point perspective.

I honestly just need a few tips on how to get started.

Thanks in advance!

snowak

• Professor
  • Socratic
Re: Starting a Perspective Drawing
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 01:57:19 pm »
Hi HDbuBDesign!

I have a file here that I hope will help you with the setups for your drawing. I don't know what specific class you are in, but if you are being asked to analyze this photo and create your own perspective drawing of the same view, you can do it using just a few easy steps...

1. I would think about the photo a bit and discover where the horizon is, and where the vanishing points would be...Think about what type of perspective it is and why...Once you analyze it, you will be able to pick out the elements and determine your next steps...

2.Draw on your paper a horizon line and vanishing points according to your analysis of the photo.

3. Draw in the walls of the space first, very lightly to create the "boxed out" area of the room. Then draw the elements you see in the foreground, always "trusting" and using the vanishing points!

I have a file here for you with the analysis sketched in so you can see how it would work. we first find out that we are working with a 2 point perspective. How do we know? We know this because we see the corners of objects and we see both the right and the left side of each corner in the image. This is how you know that you have a 2 point. (If this had been a 1 point perspective view, we would have seen the FLAT sides of objects and would not see the corners).

Since it is a two point perspective you will only have three types of lines in the drawing.
1. lines that are vertical
2. lines that vanish to the left vanishing point
3. lines that vanish to the right vanishing point

I have sketched in the horizon line here for you, and we located it because it is the location where our "eye level" is. We see that lines vanish/angle above it and below it. Where we see straight horizontals in the image is where your horizon will be! The horizon here is in red.

I have also sketched some lines that help us identify where the vanishing points would be. The red angled lines vanish to a point that hits right in the window on the back wall. I have circled this vanishing point and you can see that all of the lines that create depth going front to back in the drawing are vanishing to this point.

On the left, I have sketched an arrow that shows us that far off in the distance, beyond the edge of the paper would be your second vanishing point. The green lines are heading toward it. As you draw, you may want to make the point somewhere on your table, beyond the paper so you can pinpoint it. All of the lines that create depth going left to right in the drawing are going to vanish to this point.

The third type of lines are the verticals. I have sketched them in yellow for you. They will always stay very straight and true...showing the heights in the drawing.

With these three types of lines, you will be able to sketch in all of the elements we see in this view!

I hope this helps!...

Some principles also to remember/keep in mind:
-as objects get closer to you they will appear larger
-as objecgts get farther away they will appear smaller
-as objects get closer to the horizon, we see less of them (less of the top or bottom of an object.
-as objects get further away from the horizon, we see more of them (more of the top or bottom side of an object) For example: if something looks "tippy" (like the top of a countertop or table), then it is likely that you have not drawn it flat enough.

I have the file attached here for you! Let us know if you need any additional help!