Author Topic: Layer Now or Later  (Read 1639 times)

Oriana.Williams

Layer Now or Later
« on: January 11, 2012, 10:52:13 pm »
In the past, I've have been told to create drafts in the 0 Layer and then select each item to be placed into its respective layer. I don't seem to save any time with either method, but I am wondering the level of professionalism of the options.
Also, I've stumbled across, or maybe simply remembered an old assignment, the idea to create blocks for all recurring items in a draft. Of course it saves time, but do these blocks stay saved in the memory of AutoCAD or will I have to recreate blocks for every new drawing I create?

Thanks,
Oriana

lwettergren

• Co-Director
  • Socratic
Re: Layer Now or Later
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 08:39:34 am »
Oriana,

I typically draw on the correct layer to start with.  There are always times you may need to adjust layers, like when you use offset to place elements, but I think it is good practice to use layers as you go.

As far as blocks go, I recommend creating a library using WBlock, which creates a drawing file ou of the block, or loading them into the Deisgn Center as you go so they are always easily available.  YOu can also always copy and paste blocks between drawings as well.

Leslie