Author Topic: ID351 Materials Question  (Read 1923 times)


  • Examining
  • ****
  • Posts: 13
ID351 Materials Question
« on: March 27, 2013, 11:40:45 am »

I start Mixed Media Rendering this upcoming session and am about to purchase my materials.  I am a bit confused on the materials list in the course overview.

- "Any stock (offset, vellum, Mylar paper single and double sided) designated specifically for markers." - so we need all four stocks?

- "Canson paper of different tones and hues" - I see there are different groups of options for this, such as earth, grey, pastel, brilliant, etc.  Is there a particular pack that would work best with this class?  Any size?

- In the provided links... should I assume that we will need a product from each of those links even though it may not be listed in the above materials list (like the "Substitute for Blueprint paper (Diazo Print)")?

- Are pastels and crayons the same product?  I searched Utrecht for "Black and white pencil crayon" and the product that came up was described as a pastel. (http://www.utrechtart.com/Faber-Castell-PITT-Monochrome-Pastel-Studio-Tin-Set-of-Pencils---Crayons--12-pieces-MP32205-i1010849.utrecht)

I apologize for the laundry list of questions (and I'm sure I could come up with more, lol!), but these styles of media is all new to me and I want to be sure I am purchasing the proper products.

Thanks!!! :D



  • Professor
  • Socratic
  • *****
  • Posts: 87
Re: ID351 Materials Question
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 05:56:41 am »

I have taught this class many times before (in fact, I helped writing it) and I will try to answer all of your questions. First, the list of materials refers to the whole class and some of them will be used towards the end of the class, so you might have to acquire some just one week in advance. I recommend that you ask your teacher just a week before the assignment is due, especially if the paper is a specialty paper.

Regarding the vellum, mylar or regular bond papers, it would be a good idea to purchase at least some vellum paper, marker paper to do your work. Bienfang is a good brand.

For the canson paper, this might be a good set, http://www.dickblick.com/items/10710-1239/
For the vellum paper, this will work for you, http://www.dickblick.com/items/10629-1023/
For the marker paper, this will be a good choice too, http://www.dickblick.com/items/13638-1023/

I recommend you buy all three, as they are affordable online and you will always have them for other projects as well. The Canson paper is used around week 4, but it is a great choice if you want to start to render with a tonal base.

Your question about pastels, is a NO. Pastels are not the same as crayons, as they depend on the amount of grease that they have. I recommend getting the dry kind, the dusty kind, as otherwise the oily residue on the crayons might not give you good results when you render. Here is a good set, http://www.dickblick.com/items/20034-1209/ (buy this one, to get you started)

This set of Rembrandt pastels is a lot more expensive, but the quality is great, http://www.dickblick.com/items/20026-1009/


  • Examining
  • ****
  • Posts: 13
Re: ID351 Materials Question
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 09:18:58 am »
Thank you for the advice, Dr Paricio!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 09:35:48 am by bsweetskier »