squemish

Author Topic: 3 point perspective  (Read 1649 times)

marybrown

3 point perspective
« on: July 14, 2013, 01:08:08 am »
I  did a drawing in auto cad I felt it was 3 point ,I used the method of the vanishing points.The instructor critique states it is not in 3 point perspective. Can you help me correct this drawing. Thank you Mary

mgc95621

• Professor
  • Examining
  • AIP Faculty
Re: 3 point perspective
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 05:06:20 pm »
Mary, I posted a few extra comments to your drawing that was marked up by your instructor.  Overall, I think he did an excellent job in pointing out the flaws in your perspective and what you need to improve upon.  Instead of trying to fix the drawing I would start over and focus on drawing in scale in the first place as that will help you in understanding the concept of perspective.

First of all, the drawing is a one point perspective and not a three point perspective.  The drawing has only one vanishing point and that is why it's called a one point perspective.  All points converge to a vanishing point along the back wall where you have the arches which is at 5 feet at the horizon line.  The best way when learning perspective is to start with a one point perspective as that's the easiest to draw.  The best way to draw with a one point perspective is to create a perspective grid.  I'm posting some links to show you how to draw in perspective with a one point perspective grid and I'm posting some video comments showing you how to create a perspective grid.  Once you've created the perspective grid, I would create  modules at 1 foot by 1 foot and this will make it easy for you to refer back to your plan and draw everything in relation to your 1 foot by 1 foot modules so everything will be in scale.

Please review my video tips and my handouts and I'll be happy to set up a time with you to work on your perspective drawing. You can e-mail me at mgrefe@aii .edu to set up a time to go over things in more detail.  You're putting a lot of effort in your drawings and it shows however you have to get the base structure of the perspective correct first otherwise all that effort put into the detail is wasted.

I would review my video tips and handouts first and then let me know if you have any additional questions.  You're very close to understanding how to draw in  perspective you just need to work on understanding how the structure of the perspective is and that in turn will help to bring all of your objects into proper proportion.

You can also use programs like SKETCH UP or REVIT to create perspective style renderings.  If you want to stick with the one point perspective drawings I think that will work for you for your portfolio class you just need to focus on getting the understanding the structure of perspective drawing first.

http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cIi2r5VaFF (My video tips on drawing in perspective)

http://donnayoung.org/art/perspective-one-point-grid.htm (How to draw a one point perspective grid)

Michael S. Grefe M.ARCH M.F.A. IDEC

The Art Institute of Pittsburgh
Online Division
Full Time Faculty | Interior Design
mgrefe@aii.edu

DrParicio

• Professor
  • Socratic
Re: 3 point perspective
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 07:00:24 am »
Mary,

You got very good points from Prof. Grefe. Here is a small video that will teach how you can find a third vanishing point in your perspective, http://screencast.com/t/2m2X9eWxOiu7

Dr. Paricio