squemish

Author Topic: Initial Layers  (Read 1418 times)

ANShaulis

• Learner
Initial Layers
« on: September 11, 2013, 09:47:55 pm »
When I first setup a drawing, what are the basic layers that I probably want to start with and how do I decide what goes on each?

Also, once I've set these up, can I save this as a template so that I don't have to do this again everytime I start a new drawing?

Thanks!

snowak

• Professor
  • Socratic
Re: Initial Layers
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 01:12:42 pm »
HI "AnShaulis":

Thanks for your posting! For setting up a new drawing, you are right on track that you should be starting by setting up your layers, in addition to your UNITS, LIMITS and GRID. I am not sure what class you are in or what project you are working on? so you may want to be sure to give us as much information you can in order for us to give you specific help.

Because I don't know the specifics about your project, I can't tell you exactly what layers you will need, but for most project you will need layers for the following elements:

Walls, Doors, Door swings, Windows, Furniture, Lighting, Symbols, Text, Title Block, Drawing Titles and Notations

Beyond that, you will need to add layers as needed for your specific project. Every project is a little bit different. The key to setting up layers is that the drafter must think about which information he/she wants to be able to work with separately? What would be handy to separate so that it can be turned on and off independently of the other information on the drawing? These are questions you must ask yourself as you organize your work.

For example, if you are working on both a furniture plan and a reflected ceiling plan for your project, you will want to have your furniture on a different and separate layer than your ceiling grids. This allows you to plot your drawings with furniture on and the ceiling information turned off, OR to plot your drawings with the furniture turned off and the ceiling information turned on!

Using layer separations allows you flexibility for design, for plotting and for presentation. It also makes it easier to show information in logical "groupings".  The more you work with AutoCAD, the more you will set up your own methods of organization....Layers will be your BEST tool for that process!

The attached file is the latest Interior Design Department Standards file and it has information about all of the basic layers that you might need. It also will give you the colors and line weights used.  You can start with this set of standards, but remember that you can never have too many layers! If you need more, you can set up additional layers to meet the specific needs of your project.

For your other question about creating templates, there are several postings about that subject in another thread here in the Help Forum with information and steps. The most recent one I answered today.  It is under the category: GENERAL AUTOCAD QUESTIONS
The posting is this one: Is there an standard format for AutoCAD drawings?
Started by ckimmerer