squemish

Author Topic: Introduction to Photojournalism  (Read 1625 times)

toria0811

Introduction to Photojournalism
« on: July 30, 2013, 10:56:28 am »
What week will I need the camera flash for the course?

Damon Sauer

• Global Moderator
Re: Introduction to Photojournalism
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 07:24:46 pm »
Hi Toria,
Welcome to the forum!  You will need your flash starting in week 2 of PH133.  I would always suggest that you get in touch with your instructor on the first day of class to confirm you equipment and to double-check the equipment requirements. 

I've reproduced the dedicated camera flash requirements here for your reference:

Specifications:

• Dedicated camera flash/speedlight with TTL metering with bounce capability
  • It is recommended that the flash/speedlight is the same manufacturer as the camera.

Current References:

Canon 430EX II Speedlite TTL Shoe-Mount Flash (Guide No. 141'/43 m at 105mm)

Canon 580EX II Speedlite

Canon Speedlite 270EX Flash (amateur)

Nikon SB-700 Speedlight Shoe Mount Flash

Nikon SB-910 Speedlight

Metz mecablitz 20 C-2 Auto Flash (Basic)

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Damon
Damon Sauer
The Art Institute of Pittsburgh
Online Division
Full-Time Faculty  |  Photography

jculbret

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 02:41:44 pm »
Is the Yongnuo YN-565 EX TTL Flash Speedlite acceptable?  Attached is the link to it on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-YN-565-Flash-Speedlite-Canon/dp/B00844N5OC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386106646&sr=8-1&keywords=YF-565+EX

Damon Sauer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 09:41:37 am »
Hi,
Thanks for the question.  Given the Amazon description, this model would appear to work.  However, as you will note above, it is strongly recommended that you get a speedlight from the same manufacturer as the camera.  This is because there are a number of complicated calculations that occur in a short period of time (such as syncing or TTL metering) and each need to work flawlessly and be highly accurate in order for the flash to work properly. 

I've never heard about Yongnuo and this product appears to have somewhat mixed reviews.  As in most cases like this, you would certainly be rolling the dice when purchasing bargain equipment like this.  It is easy to ultimately end up spending more money if an off-brand unit like this doesn't fit your needs or stops working at some point.  Personally, I would vastly prefer a used flash that matches the camera manufacturer to a new flash made by a third party (with the exception of metz).

I hope that helps answer your question, but please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
Damon
Damon Sauer
The Art Institute of Pittsburgh
Online Division
Full-Time Faculty  |  Photography