squemish

Author Topic: beginner  (Read 1067 times)

melgills

beginner
« on: January 30, 2015, 05:44:45 pm »
I know everyone has a preference, but I was wondering if I could get some tips for a good computer for using Photoshop, and a good camera. I currently have a Nikon D7000 and I think it can get me by just fine for now, but I know a lot of people use canons these day. Just trying to get some info from people with experience.

Traeton Garl

• Global Moderator
    • Traeton Garl Photography
Re: beginner
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 12:22:24 pm »
Hi Melgills,

Your current camera more than meets the requirements for our program and is vary capable.  You ask a difficult question here and there would be numerous opinions as to what is better and why.  In the end you need to determine what is best for YOU.  As far as recommendations I would start by researching the area of photography you want to work in and see what others in that industry use and why.  For example, I work in the fashion industry.  My industry, and specifically my clients, most heavily use Canon when shooting 35mm format and use the Macintosh platform With Eizo displays.  I use the same and find this most advantageous when working and servicing my clients and have found these to be the best fit for ME as well.  Is there a specialty lens or piece of equipment that you would need to utilize?  (This may help lead you to a quick and clear answer.)  As you can see, there are lot of variables to consider here.  When looking for a computer with Photoshop in mind, both Mac and PC platforms are more than capable.  Look for the other aspect to make Photoshop really efficient such as fast SSD drives, fast video cards and extra RAM.  Another critical component is a good monitor that can be properly calibrated and capable of showing you the best possible rendition of the true color and detail within your images.  It comes down to budget and the best you can afford at the time.  Again, that can be a long discussion and as such I would be happy to dig deeper and help.  Feel free to contact me directly at tgarl@aii.edu and we could set up a time to talk and see if we can figure out what might be the best fit for what you want to do.
Traeton Garl, M.F.A
Full Time Faculty
Photography / Studio
Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division