squemish

Author Topic: PHOA113 lighting equipment  (Read 1031 times)

mmmlychavez

PHOA113 lighting equipment
« on: March 03, 2015, 09:36:25 am »
HELP!  i am so new to all of this equipment, and am having trouble knowing if i have all of my requirements for my upcoming lighting course.   From my understanding, we need light modifiers.  But i am getting confused between the different pieces needed.   i understand that we need a "scrim".  This is the bit thats throwing me off.  I have a 5 in 1 reflector/diffuser with the center being the diffuser.  Does this work for my scrim?  or as i pasted below from a former help topic... Since i have an umbrella that came with my strobe, is that acceptable in replace of the scrim kit?  Since i have an umbrella and a diffuser, i wouldn't need to buy one of the scrim sets, correct?  HELP

Light Modifiers:
Scrims(2), and/or, Soft Boxes(2), and/or, Umbrellas(2)

Thanks a bunch! 

mmmlychavez

Re: PHOA113 lighting equipment
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 10:36:24 am »
I just noticed that the class name had changed, and i found a question posted already on this topic (but under the old class name).  But it was from last year, i doubt anything has changed, but any feedback is still appreciated! :)

Traeton Garl

• Global Moderator
    • Traeton Garl Photography
Re: PHOA113 lighting equipment
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 04:22:06 pm »
Hi Mmmlychavez,

Most of the requirements will still be the same except now you're required to have one monolight (studio strobe) instead of the continuous lights previously required. In the next lighting class after PHOA113, you will add a second monolight and beyond that  a third.  You must assure that each of your monolights  are between 320-500 Watt Seconds (WS) of flash output and have at least 250W modeling lights. If you were just purchasing your lights now and are looking for a convenient way to purchase all three, the school offers a 3-light kit that contains three, 500 WS monolights (1500WS total) with a remote triggering and control system, umbrellas and soft box that will fulfill your lighting requirements for all of your upcoming classes. This is provided as a voucher and is part  of your financial aid and tuition. You can find out more information about this kit and see if you qualify for it (if needed)  by contacting your academic and financially counselors. This can be a wonderful and convenient option if you're just starting out in your lighting classes and need to purchase lighting.
Traeton Garl, M.F.A
Full Time Faculty
Photography / Studio
Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division