Author Topic: Color Management Printer  (Read 931 times)

MrsFuzion

Color Management Printer
« on: May 26, 2015, 11:07:17 am »
Hi Everyone,

I know this subject was posted on here before however, since it was done last year, I'm hoping the "printer" issue has new solutions.

Here is my question:  Is it possible to use a print house or another printing company to satisfy the print requirements for PHOA123? 

Outside of the overall expenses for the printer as well as maintenance and upkeep, I would rarely use it (outside of this class) as I focus on more digital photography and do less printing.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Traeton Garl

• Global Moderator
    • Traeton Garl Photography
Re: Color Management Printer
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 01:52:30 pm »
Hi MrsFuzion,

A photographic printer that meets the departmentís specifications is required for PHAO123 Color Management and Printing.  In the class you will learn to craft prints and calibrate different papers for printing as part of the process of learning color management as well as how the craft the highest quality and consistent prints.  This would not be possible sending out for prints as you would not have access to specific settings and the control you need as well as limiting your paper choices.  One aspect that should become evident is in your ability to craft higher quality prints, many times with greater dynamic range, color range and longevity that what you can achieve from many labs.  I find many students in the retail market that use a lab to fulfill their printing needs recognize the value of being able to produce a quality print in-house for proofs and especially during holidays when the labs get backed up and are running behind on fulfillment.
Traeton Garl, M.F.A
Full Time Faculty
Photography / Studio
Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division