squemish

Author Topic: printer for class  (Read 765 times)

crazyjo.kathy

printer for class
« on: January 25, 2016, 09:28:09 pm »
I am looking ahead and was wondering if the Epson Expression ET-2550 is an acceptable printer to use for class link follows
http://www.officedepot.com/catalog/search.do?Ntt=epson+expression+ET-2550&searchSuggestion=true

I understand this has been discussed before and sorry for the extra post on it.

Traeton Garl

• Global Moderator
    • Traeton Garl Photography
Re: printer for class
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 11:19:51 am »
Hello crazojo.kathy,

I took a look at your link and according to the specifications for the Epson Expression ET-2550, unfortunately it would not meet the requirements.  It only has 4 different inks and would need to have 6 or more to meet the requirements.  Also, it does not appear to have a strait-through paper path that is necessary to feed the thicker, higher quality photographic and fine art papers through the printer without bending them that can cause paper jams and in some cases, cause the print head to strike the paper and damage the print head.  Please be sure to look at the equipment database and review any guidelines listed and it also has links to to some recommended printers.  The link is:  http://fms12-010-dca.oditech.com/fmi/iwp/cgi?-db=PH_Equipment&-loadframes

Lastly, Ai recently started offering a kit that includes both the required ColorMunki Photo calibration system bundled with a photographic printer that meets all of the requirements.  It is also listed in the equipment section in the database by clicking on the "Browse All Equipment Specifications" then clicking through until you land on the Ai Color Kit page.  This kit can be added to your tuition if you qualify and your Financial Aid Advisor should have more information about this and would be the one to process it for you.
Traeton Garl, M.F.A
Full Time Faculty
Photography / Studio
Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division