Author Topic: Printer (Minimum Requirements)  (Read 737 times)

BrittaneyShick

Printer (Minimum Requirements)
« on: February 10, 2016, 11:58:56 am »
Hello,

I was wanting to know if this printer meets the 'at minimum' requirements for my classes.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/mx-series/pixma-mx860

Thanks in advance!

Traeton Garl

• Global Moderator
    • Traeton Garl Photography
Re: Printer (Minimum Requirements)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 12:33:05 pm »
Hi BrittaneyShick,

I took a look and unfortunately it does not meet the requirements.  The requirements are for a photographic printer with 6 or more ink colors and a strait-through paper path.  This is a multifunction printer and as many of them, only has 4 different ink colors and does not appear to have a strait-through paper path.  Having 6 or more colors will assure greater dynamic range and fidelity in your prints and a strait-through paper path is necessary to accommodate thicker fine art and photographic papers that would not bend well when feeding through the printer and can lead to paper jams and potentially the print head striking the paper and becoming damaged.  Also, when looking around be sure to look at how many ml of ink is contained within the ink cartridges.  The more ml, generally the less expensive the cost to operate.  The initial cost may be greater, but over time the saving can be quite significant.  Be sure to look at the specifications and recommendations in our equipment database at:  http://fms12-010-dca.oditech.com/fmi/iwp/cgi?-db=PH_Equipment&-loadframes   Lastly, A color kit has recently become available that includes a photographic printer and the ColorMunki color calibration system, both required for the Color Management/Printing class.  This kit is also listed in our database and if you qualify, can be sent to you and added to your tuition.  You Academic and Financial Counselors will have more information on how to obtain this kit.
Traeton Garl, M.F.A
Full Time Faculty
Photography / Studio
Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division