squemish

Author Topic: Impact Wireless trigger now works, but can't get it to flash with camera  (Read 432 times)

kelmeloo

I finally figured out why my transmitter wasn't triggering the flash: they weren't on the same channel..which I'm not sure how. I've never changed the channels since buying the strobes but they were all set to C1, and I had to switch all the switches inside my trigger remote in the battery compartment.

That said, I finally got it to flash when using the test button on the remote. But now, when I'm actually trying to take the photo, it won't flash. I'm not sure if I need it on a particular setting or not. I can't remember as it's been too long. I just know you need to have it on the Exposure Screen/Viewfinder (the screen that doesn't show the preview) for it to flash. I had it on the Exposure Settings screen and had the shutter speed at 1/200 which is my flash's speed. It still won't flash, and in the flash settings, I can't change anything with the trigger mounted on the hot-shoe. I kept trying to turn the trigger back on and then immediately taking a picture, but still nothing. Not sure why it's not flashing.

Traeton Garl

• Global Moderator
    • Traeton Garl Photography
Hi kelmeloo,

The transmitter has a very basic triggering system and only uses the center pin to get the signal to trip the strobes to be compatible to most systems.  Many of the settings you are referring to sound like more specific settings to consider when utilizing a compatible hot shoe flash for your system.  Also, I do not know what camera you are working with here and am unsure about the screens and setting you are referring to.  The hot shoe should trip the transmitter on pretty much any camera setting (the same as hitting the test button.  For working with your monolights, your camera should be on manual mode and you shutter speed would be set to your maximum sync speed (sounds like 200/s here) or slightly less if you are getting a darkening on one side of your images or a black bar cutting them off.  You would use your hand held light meter to meter and dial in the exact desired f-stop for each monolight and to set the f-stop on your camera for proper exposure.  Another thing that comes to mind is the Impact Monolights have various other settings the can for instance wait for a second flash when attempting to incorporate any on-camera flashes and various delays for added control and effects.  Maybe one of these other settings could also be getting in the way?  If you are able to press the test button on the transmitter and the monolights fire that is the first step and a very good start.  I would next have your camera on manual and start there.  Each camera system has their own unique settings.  I would refer to your camera manual for any information relating to connecting studio strobes.  This would be tricky to attempt to diagnose here so I would be happy to discuss this more in detail with you.  You can email me through this forum with a good number to reach you at and I can give you a call and help you try and fight this out if you would like.
Traeton Garl, M.F.A
Full Time Faculty
Photography / Studio
Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division

kelmeloo

Okay, I've sent you my phone number.

Traeton Garl

• Global Moderator
    • Traeton Garl Photography
Hello kelmeloo,

I received your email and will give you a call and see if we can get this figured out.
Traeton Garl, M.F.A
Full Time Faculty
Photography / Studio
Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division