Author Topic: Posing  (Read 1426 times)

yellowcanaryphotography

Posing
« on: February 11, 2016, 11:32:04 am »
I am earning my Bachelors in Photography and don't feel any of the classes so far have touched on posing of people.  I am working on year three.  Are there other classes that cover this topic or a place I can go for more education on this?  It doesn't help me much to simply look on Pinterest for ideas, I prefer knowing if I did it right or a little more guidance.  It's why I'm in college right?  Thanks!

Traeton Garl

• Global Moderator
    • Traeton Garl Photography
Re: Posing
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 12:47:47 pm »
yellowcanaryphotography

Many of the classes may not provide specific examples of posing an individual as each situation is different as would be your concept and what it is you are trying to convey about that individual in your own unique way. I know that the elective Figure & Fashion class (PH435) expands upon this further with a more fluid approach to posing. Additional resources I would recommend taking a look at are any portraiture related offerings at Lynda.com that is available to you free as a student. You can access this resource from any discussion area within your class by clicking on the round “Help” button at the top and fowling the instructions to sigh up. Another resource to look at is Creative Live. (creartivelive.com)  They offer a variety of live classes for free on various topics, including portraiture and approaching posing from some of the leading photographers in the Industry. They also offer the ability to purchase classes separately.  Lastly, if you are looking for additional structure or guidance, I highly recommend asking questions or for additional helpful resources in your classroom either within the Questions for the Professor or weekly Problems & Solutions discussion areas.  Lastly. take advantage of your instructors office hours to discuss your needs and have them share with you their own insights and advice.
Traeton Garl, M.F.A
Full Time Faculty
Photography / Studio
Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division

yellowcanaryphotography

Re: Posing
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 11:03:00 pm »
Thanks!  I have many that are in various other areas of work so they aren't always sure what to say to help me in this area.   :)