squemish

Author Topic: ColorMunki - Color calibration system info and tutorials.  (Read 1072 times)

Traeton Garl

• Global Moderator
    • Traeton Garl Photography
ColorMunki - Color calibration system info and tutorials.
« on: December 04, 2011, 01:03:24 pm »
The ColorMunki Photo is a hardware/software color management system for calibrating and creating profiles for both your display and your printer.  It is much more than a device that only calibrates a monitor, but also reads printed targets for calibrating your printer.  This system is required for PH225 Color Management and also PH226 Printing.  There are a few products now available that say "ColorMunki" in the name.  The one we use is specifically the ColorMunki Photo.  Below is a link to the ColorMunki sections of Xrite's website (the makers of the ColorMunki).  Toward the right side of the screen are several videos you can watch that contain interviews with professional photographers that use this system as well as several tutorials that show you how to use it and explain some important information relating to color management such as your working environment. (There is a small button below the video to be able to view it full-screen.)

Link: http://xritephoto.com/ph_product_overview.aspx?id=1115
Traeton Garl, M.F.A
Full Time Faculty
Photography / Studio
Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division

blurrygirl

Re: ColorMunki - Color calibration system info and tutorials.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 02:50:52 pm »
I am having trouble with my color monkish in windows 7. I have contacted tech support. But everything they told me to do has not helped. They said this is a known issue for years. What happens is if my laptop goes to sleep when I wake it back up the calibration from the color monki is lost. Is there anything you know of that I can do about this?

Traeton Garl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 08:52:09 pm »
Hi Blurrygirl,

I would not have the insight that tech support would have and I work on the Macintosh platform, but click on the link below and I will touch base on this in my recording.

Link:  http://www.screencast.com/t/CCm6PcHBGSol
Traeton Garl, M.F.A
Full Time Faculty
Photography / Studio

blurrygirl

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 12:03:14 pm »
Actually i think this was a lot more helpful than what i got from tech support. The school Tech support didn't know what color monkey was an xrite tech support gave me the run around. I suspect that this thing works much better on a mac than a pc. I am having trouble getting it to connect as well. I used the older usb port and everything but still have issues with it. It likes to connect and then suddenly disconnect. I am super frustrated with this thing and I just don't know what to do about it.

Traeton Garl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 11:51:51 am »
Hi Blurrygirl,

I am sorry to hear you are having such difficulty withy your ColorMunki.  The Ai Tech Support would likely have little knowledge about such a device so XRite (the manufacturer) really is your layer of support.  I would keep on them to resolve the issue and also try and test your ColorMunki on a different computer to attempt to assure that it is not any hardware or cabling issues.  They generally work equally well on both platforms, but assure that you have checked and are using the latest software for the ColorMunki (check for updates under the Help pull-down menu) and that your system itself and all the latest updates.  You may need to troubleshoot further that nothing on your system is continuously trying to take over the USB port and sever the connection between the ColorMunki and it's software.  Also assure that the USB cable is seated fully into the ColorMunki device.
Traeton Garl, M.F.A
Full Time Faculty
Photography / Studio