squemish

Author Topic: Help fixing my project  (Read 1822 times)

dondmcgreevy@aol.com

Help fixing my project
« on: February 16, 2013, 06:00:42 pm »
http://dmcgreevy.aisites.com/premierpro/portfolio/home.html

My ability is somewhat limited. and there are a number of things that I want to do.

1. On my portfolio page.  I want to be able to have an x on each item so that I can click off of them and go back to the main page.  My instructor wants me to provide more spacing and give a description.

2. On the resume page, how do I just type it in and then set it up so that it downloads the resume as one pdf?

3.  I will do some work on my Captivate and web pages.

4.  If you see anything else that you would improve or change please let me know?

Thank you,

Don McGreevy

JennaSetticasi

• Global Moderator
Re: Help fixing my project
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 08:34:17 am »
Hi Don,

I think I can provide some helpful input.

1) The easiest way to do this is to use a jQuery plug-in gallery such as lightbox: http://leandrovieira.com/projects/jquery/lightbox/. There are a lot of other gallery plug-ins available as well if you want to research them, but lightbox is a good choice. You can add descriptions to the images in lightbox that appear underneath the image when it opens. Setting padding or margins is a good way to position your gallery thumbnails.

2) You can upload a PDF copy of your resume to the Webspace and then provide a link to it on the page, something like this:
<a href = "resume.pdf">Download a copy of my resume</a>

As far as other suggestions, I would consider replacing the contact information with a contact form if that's something you are comfortable doing or your instructor can help.

I would move any styles used on all pages to the external CSS sheet from the embedded sheets to make sitewide changes easier.

I would also be more consistent with the font size and style of text in the paragraphs of your pages. Avoid bold or italic for large amounts of text.

You could also make your navigation links a little larger so that they stand out more.

Adding a list of your skills (i.e. HTML) and work that you will be doing (i.e. Web design) to the homepage is important so that potential clients or employers can find this information without having to look far.

These are just suggestions. You have a nice portfolio site here. Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 08:37:57 am by JennaSetticasi »
Jenna Setticasi
The Art Institute of Pittsburgh | Online Division
Associate Professor, Web Design and Interactive Media

dondmcgreevy@aol.com

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 07:27:47 pm »
Jenna, thank you for your input.  Please excuse me for not getting back to you sooner.   I really enjoyed your class last year and you are one heck of a professor. 

I will keep you informed of how this turns out. 

Take care.

Don

JennaSetticasi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 07:26:50 am »
Great! You're welcome Don.

Jenna
Jenna Setticasi
The Art Institute of Pittsburgh | Online Division
Associate Professor, Web Design and Interactive Media