Author Topic: positioning elements  (Read 1491 times)

nate11985

positioning elements
« on: July 12, 2013, 06:43:41 pm »
I am very confused on this. I have a content area, whch for now I left plain white with some items in it, and then on the left side of the content area I have a dragons tail, and on the right side I have the dragons head. I used absolute postioning to position the dragon items around the content area. On a resolution of 1600x900 the site looks great, however, when I resize the browser window, the dragons unattaches itself from the content area. I do understand why that is haening, but I do not understand or know how I can fix that problem. Is it possible to fix? Rather than making the content area liquid, should I use absolute positioning as well or is there a better way?

Here is the link to the page-

http://nate11985.aisites.com/digital_magic/

CSS is here-

http://nate11985.aisites.com/digital_magic/css/style.css

JennaSetticasi

• Global Moderator
Re: positioning elements
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 06:56:16 pm »
What about making the dragon and white area part of the page background? Then you could relatively position the text to get it where it needs to be. Absolute positioning is not very flexible.
Jenna Setticasi
The Art Institute of Pittsburgh | Online Division
Associate Professor, Web Design and Interactive Media

nate11985

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 10:37:05 pm »
I didn't think of doing that. I'll try to make a background image with that incorporated. I will also try and see if I can use the dragon and white area as a div background and then create another div that can contain the contents that will reside within the content area. I have always just used absolute positioning I guess becuase I am comfortable with it as I have used it the most. I will try the relative positioning and hopefully I will be able to get things how I envision them :) Thanks!

JennaSetticasi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 11:10:05 am »
That sounds like a plan. You're welcome!
Jenna Setticasi
The Art Institute of Pittsburgh | Online Division
Associate Professor, Web Design and Interactive Media