Author Topic: Help with my topic sentence  (Read 1548 times)

DaveP

Help with my topic sentence
« on: April 26, 2012, 06:27:19 pm »
Hi Kate,

I'm having a little trouble writing my topic sentence.  I have a topic and a title, but I'm not sure if what I have written is there yet.  Maybe you could take a look at the first few sentences to see if they make sense and possibly point me in the right direction.  I will copy and paste to make it easy for you.

Thank you ,
Dave

David Picard

FND114

24 April 2012

Journalism and the Media:

How the Internet is Impacting Journalism and the Media

Traditionally, journalism is the practice of acquiring first-hand information directly from sources that are connected to a news story, by a professional journalist.  The mainstream media, which are a group made up of journalist, editors, and other professionals whom are responsible for bringing the public information, are a tight net group that is well educated in their field, which makes it very difficult for the average person to become a so-called member.  Amateurs are rarely welcome to enter into the professional realm of journalism, unless they have access to an op-ed in a newspaper.  Then, during the 1990ís, an alternative media started to evolve with the invention of blogs.  Blogs enabled regular citizens to write using the internet.  In the past, when you logged on to the internet, all you could do is read what someone else wrote.  Before long, Weblogs started popping up allowing regular people to act as journalists and enter into the domain that was once held for the professionals.  SMS, which is instant texting while on the computer with another person, is another new technology that is making the practice of traditional journalism more difficult. Also, with the inventions of P2P (Peer-To-Peer) and RSS (Really Simple Syndication), some say technology has cornered journalism.  Dan Gillmor seems to think so when he said, ìprofessional news people will need to be plugged into tomorrowís smart mobsî (Gillmor 34).  Itís now the journalists, vying for an open seat at the table with a bunch of regular citizens aligned with a laptop and an iphone.

Gillmor, Dan.  ìWe the Media: Grassroots Journalism By The People, For The People.  Google Books.  2006.  Web.  24 April 2012.

kbutler

Re: Help with my topic sentence
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 04:52:12 pm »
Hi David,

No problem! I have given you some comments on an attachment here and have made a video to add a few more comments. Click on the link below and turn your speakers up!

http://screencast.com/t/BwV3UILGDD

Talk to you soon :).

Kate

DaveP

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 02:52:31 pm »
Hi Kate,

Wow!  Thank you so much for that amazing reply.  I am going to listen to your reply over and over for a while until it really sinks in.  I will let you know how that goes.

Thanks again,

Dave

kbutler

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 09:27:40 pm »
You are so very welcome! :) Please let me know if I can be of further assistance :).

Kate